CHICAGO (AP) — A published report says Gov. Pat Quinn’s scandal-plagued anti-violence initiative directed thousands of dollars to a program for ex-offenders that never existed.
The Chicago Sun-Times reports Wednesday that Project Hope, Inc., received nearly $16,000 in state money through the 2010 Neighborhood Recovery Initiative.
The newspaper cites state records that show it took three months for state officials to notice the scheme.
Quinn’s program is already under federal and Cook County probes. It’s also been the subject of legislative hearings where former state officials have been subpoenaed to testify.
A state audit earlier this year outlined “pervasive” problems with mismanagement and misspending.
Quinn’s spokesman says the governor has addressed problems and has “zero tolerance” for wrongdoing.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.)