The Sunday of the first weekend of the Illinois State Fair customarily includes a veterans' program and some bill signings.
And the newest veterans – of Iraq and Afghanistan – are not forgotten, either. “Many (veterans) are coming home with very visible scars of war,” said Springfield Mayor Mike Houston. “Many more are coming home with scars that we do not see.”
Gov. Pat Quinn signed bills into law to:
● Require a task force to evaluate the needs of women veterans
● Make it easier for veteran-owned businesses to sell goods and services to the state
● Require those who build veterans' memorials on public property to fund maintenance
● Increase penalties for vandalizing veterans' memorials
● Allocate 33 percent of Learn Charter School's lottery seats for children of personnel stationed at Great Lakes Naval Station