A fire destroyed what used to be the Corbell Telephone and Electronics store in downtown Carterville.
The fire started around 6:15 p.m. Monday night and then spread to a vacant business immediately to the north of the building. One person lived in an apartment above the vacant business, but reports say the tenant escaped safely.
A thrift store immediately south of Corbell Electronics sustained some smoke and water damage. A separate fire damaged that business in 2010.
Crews from over 20 different fire departments responded to the fire. One fire engine is still on the scene as of this morning, tending to the building to make sure the fire doesn't reignite.
The fire spread to nearby power lines, so Ameren had to shut down power to eight customers in the downtown area. Ameren spokesman Leigh Morris says all service has been restored except for the building affected by the fire.
Part of Division Street between Illinois Avenue and Grand Avenue was closed this morning.